Saturday, July 25, 2009

BITTER-SWEET


This is supposed to be a portrait of my friend, Martha but I'm afraid that it fell short of her expectations. However, I'm doubly disappointed that I did not follow my gut instincts about pricing the commission and about the arrangements for viewing the piece, before it was framed. Now I have to pay to have it reframed after I rework it. It was a costly mistake.
However, I am exceedingly pleased with my handling of the medium, acrylic. I am also happy about the anatomical correctness of the facial structure. I hope that I can retain these qualities as I re-work it. Wish me luck.
I definitly concurr with Mary Adam on the fact that, with acrylics, " what you see is not what you get" because the colours really do dry darker than they first appear. I'll definitely choose oils for my next portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment